What are the different components in a wireless security camera system with monitor?
This system sounds complicated, right?
A wireless security camera with a monitor? It’s a bit of a mouthful.
But for all you Millenials out there who can’t quite comprehend why anyone would need a monitor and not just use their phone.
Let’s back up and just explain a few things…
A Quick Definition
There are three basic elements in any wireless security camera systems with a monitor.
And they are:
- At least one security camera- although some systems allow up to 8 cameras to be connected.
- A monitor- which vary in size from 7- 10”. And some of them are touch screens.
- A storage system. Either an NVR (Network Video Recorder) (think your set top box for your TV) or a high capacity micro SD card.
- Power leads for the cameras, monitor and NVRs.
A feature that appears in some but not all of these systems is an app for a smartphone/ tablet or PC that allow the footage to be monitored and the system managed remotely.
The systems are labelled as “wireless” because the camera(s) connect to the monitor and the NVR wirelessly.
The whole system is not truly wireless because the cameras, monitor and NVR needs to be powered by a lead, which is not a problem as far as the monitor and NVR are concerned.
But it can be a real issue with the cameras, which I will explain a bit more about later.
Quickly looking at the specs for a couple of the wireless security camera systems, the power leads for the cameras seem to be 10 foot or 3 meters, which is quite generous.
Now that I have briefly explained what a wireless security camera with monitor is, it is time to change tack.
And so what are some of the most mouth- watering features that you can expect from these systems?
Top Features of Wireless Security Cameras With Monitors
Well for the main part, the cameras offer what you might expect from any other security camera on the market:
- 1080p resolution
- Night vision
- Motion detection (with alerts)
- Remote access
Some of the systems in my reviews offer “extras” such as two way audio or sirens.
A stand out feature of the cameras in these systems are that, since they are designed to work outside, they all have an IP rating of 65 and 66.
To cut a long story short, this rating should ensure that these cameras will carry on working regardless of how hot, cold or wet it is.
Moving onto the NVRs they offer between 1GB and 2GB of storage and they use h.264 or H.265 compression technology- which allows them to store more footage.
Now that we have dealt with most of the important features of a wireless security camera with a monitor, it is time to think about some of the advantages and disadvantages of these products.
Pros of Wireless Security Cameras With Monitors
In coming up with this list of pros and cons, I have tried to compare the wireless security cameras with monitors with other security camera systems.
The most obvious pro of owning one of these systems is that it comes with a monitor. That means that you don’t need to use your smartphone or find another monitor from somewhere else. Sorted.
Works Without Internet
This might surprise you. But wireless security cameras with monitors work perfectly well without being connected to the Internet.
The cameras are wireless but this describes how they connect to the NVR or SD card- it isn’t a description of how they connect to the Internet.
You don’t lose out on any functions apart from not being able to remotely connect.
Add More Cameras
Many of the systems that I review allow you to add more cameras to the set up as your needs or the needs of your company grow. This is great because it takes the guesswork out of the purchase.
This was mentioned earlier- that these cameras are built to work outside in all weathers.
Now that we have looked on the bright side, do these systems have any drawbacks?
Cons of Wireless Security Cameras With Monitors
The cameras need power leads and so this limits where they can be located and it leaves a lot of trailing wires to be tidied up or hidden or neatly secured to outside walls.
Frequently Asked Questions
 What is an NVR?
A Network Video Recorder is very similar to a desktop computer. It contains a hard disk that it uses for storage (which is footage from the security camera (s)), some processing power to do what it needs to do and an operating system or software that allows a user to control it.
Once a mouse, keyboard and monitor are connected to it, a user can begin to view the video footage or connect directly to the camera for a live view.
 How do the cameras connect to an NVR?
The cameras connect to the NVR by magic. No, I am only kidding. The cameras connect to the NVR wirelessly.
And what is really great is that they connect automatically. You don’t have to download an app and go through a monotonous step by step process in order to set the camera up.
Plug in the camera, plug in the NVR and switch them on. Wait a couple of minutes for them to connect. That’s it.
 What are channels? What is the maximum number of channels that a system can have?
The term “channels” confused me at first. But what it describes is the maximum number of cameras that can be attached to a security camera system.
And with the systems that I review in a bit, most of them are 8 channel systems- which means that you can link up to 8 cameras to them.
 Can you remotely connect to these systems? How does it work?
Wireless security cameras with monitors can be connected to remotely. And for this you need two things:
Ethernet cable: To connect your NVR to your router.
Phone/ Tablet/ PC App: These apps are product specific. You can’t just download any remote access app and expect it to connect successfully to any set of cameras.
 What is the range? How far away from the NVR can these cameras be?
This has been a difficult answer to get hold of exact answers to these questions but it seems that in open areas outside (where there are no or very few obstructions) the cameras will connect up to 1000 feet away from the NVR.
In an indoor environment, where you have interior walls and interference from other electrical devices, that range decreases down to about 100 feet.
Having answered some FAQs about these devices, let’s now go on and discuss big brands
Big Brands and Wireless Security Cameras With Monitors
There are no household names that sell wireless security cameras with monitors. You won’t find a Swann, Arlo or Ring system here.
Instead the “space” is filled with much smaller Chinese start-ups most of whom you probably haven’t heard about.
This doesn’t mean that you should shy away from buying one of these products but it does mean that you need to pay close attention to any reviews that have been written
 HisEEu 8 Channel Security Camera
The HisEEu 8 channel security camera setup is a top of the line tech that comes with an inbuilt 10.1” Wireless Monitor out of the box, along with a 1Tb hard drive and 4 cameras supporting 24 hours non-stop surveillance.
No setup or complicated manuals required.
The System also contains:
I. Expandable 8-Channel Monitor – The device comes with a10.1” LCD Full HD display(1920×1080) with 8 channel setup.
II. IP66 Waterproof Cameras – It has 4 waterproof cameras that can record Full HD videos(1920×1080) and are paired with the system before being shipped.
III. Remote Control – Wireless surveillance system. Just download the app onto your phone or tablet(available on both Android and iOS), register with a new account and you’re good to go.
IV. High Definition Video – 78-degree video angle with round the clock of recording. Cameras are 2.0 megapixel each with IR night vision. The IR-LED can detect signals up to a range of 65ft.
V. Service- 1-year warranty including free replacements for parts and lifetime technical support.
The company also offers a 10ft. Antenna and a power extension cable. You can also avail an 8% discount code by sending a mail request prior to your purchase.
VI. Other Features- Motion detection and email alert system for more efficient security. Whenever the system detects any unusual activity, it will notify you in real time.
– Easy to set up and plug and play right off the box. No complicated setup required.
– Enhanced picture quality with night vision support.
– Provides stable connection and can be easily connected with the mobile app.
– The app and the on-screen interface may not be the most user-friendly.
– Handful cases of HDD malfunctions; have to keep frequent tabs on the recording feed.
– Complaints of lack of technical support from the company.
 ONWOTE 1080p NVR Security Camera
Some of the features of the product are as follows:
The ONWOTE 1080p HD NVR is an all-in-one security camera setup that comes with a 10.1 -inch LCD monitor, 4 surveillance cameras with effective vision of up to 80ft, and 1TB hard drive out of the box.
I. Automatic Pairing- One you’ve set up the system, just plug in the cameras as they are not battery operated.
Once connected to the power supply, the system will automatically connect with the cameras and begin recording.
II. 1TB inbuilt storage- The security setup comes with a 1024GB HDD which supports 18 days of continuous recording and 30+ days under motion detection.
III. Video feed- The cameras record 1280x780p HD videos, with an effective coverage of 80ft. of vision even during the night.
Thus, it offers high picture quality and also has easy to set up features.
IV. Waterproof- All the cameras are waterproof with IP66 certification giving you complete peace of mind during the rainy season.
V. Superior build- Sturdy aluminum casing meant for both indoor and outdoor usage along with 3-Axis adjustable bracket offering better maneuverability.
VI. Service- Free replacement for damaged parts, along with 24/7 technical support, and a 1-year warranty.
The email support guarantees a response within 8 hours and also has live chat support at their official website.
– 6 LED arrays that can activate automatically after detecting low light conditions.
– Available for ceiling and wall mounting.
– Prompt connection with the app. It that works with Android, iOS, Windows and any other mobile devices.
– Strong signal support up to 1200ft.
– Cameras are a bit bulky and heavy.
– The app and the browser interface stutters whenever you’re trying to playback the feed or access the settings option.
– Bulky ethernet connector makes it difficult to hide.
 Cromorc 4 Channel Camera System
The Cromorc 4 channel camera setup comes with a 10.1-inch LCD display and a 1080p NVR recording kit, a 1TB hard drive and a night vision bullet IP camera.
The system also contains:
I. Simple Installation Process- 10.1-inch LCD display with NVR integration, simple setup procedures, and HD wireless cameras.
No more wires to clutter up excess indoor or outdoor space. Thus, it gives you more room to manage the security system.
II. Weatherproof HD cameras- With enhanced night vision capabilities, the Cromorc HD security system captures clear and crisp video footage during the night as it does in the day.
The cameras also have built-in 3 Pcs Array IR LEDs and IR cut filters, providing for seamless surveillance throughout the day and into the night.
III. Adaptability- The night vision can reach up to 65ft. and the IP66 weatherproof certification and metal housings grant the security system, a long-lasting life.
IV. Long Range Support- Signal interference isn’t an issue since the cameras seem to work across long ranges with and without building interference.
V. Remote access offering an array of functions- The ease of viewing the video feed on mobile devices(both iOS and Android) truly makes for a great remote experience.
Keep an eye from any part of the world. The system also supports email alarm, motion detection, recording, backup, playback, and video preview.
VI. Service- A lifetime of free technical support along with a 1-year warranty. The product is made from authentic processors, high quality inbuilt hard drives and a UL certified power supply, all packed with a detailed guide so that you don’t have any trouble installing the system by yourself.
– Cameras and DVR are easy to set up.
– If one camera shuts down, the others automatically boost their signal to make up for the loss of vision.
– The in-box power cord is way too short for practical use.
– Motion detectors can trigger off of reflective surfaces, so remove any such reflective surface before turning the system on.
 Anran 8 Channel Security System
Compared to the traditional 4-6 channel setups, the Anran security setup offers 8 channel viewing over a 12-inch display feed and four 2.0MP IP cameras.
The system also offers an NVR kit with an inbuilt capacity of 1TB for recording.
Some of the features of this device are as follows:
I. Auto-Pair Technology- The Anran surveillance security system is simple to set up. Once you have placed the cameras and the monitor, you can pair them automatically and start receiving video footage right away.
Also, the NVR and the camera setup doesn’t operate on battery and requires a direct power source, preventing any skips in the recording process due to dead batteries.
II. The Accessories- The setup comes with a 12-inch monitor, a 1TB HDD and an 8 channel recording with full HD support.
III. Full HD recording with expandable camera setups- All the cameras are 2.0MP in size and can record videos in 1920×1080 resolution.
The feed is extremely realistic and crisp to view. You can even expand the 4 camera setup to an 8 camera setup(only work with Anran cameras).
IV. Flexibility- You can either choose the provided monitor or can even connect the camera setup with your TV or PC via an HDMI cable.
V. Enhanced Night Vision- The superior build quality of the cameras enables it to work in heavy weather.
They seem to operate fine within a range of -10-degree celsius to 50-degree celsius.
The cameras are also equipped with LEDs that kick in automatically once it becomes dark, with effective visibility of up to 35ft.
VI. Support- Free lifetime technical support along with a year of warranty and free replacement for damaged parts.
– Comes with IP66 protection.
– Doesn’t affect the internet speed allowing you to work without hindrance.
– Some cases reported bad color setting with a high concentration of blue and green hue.
– Recording time and date keeps resetting and has to be adjusted manually
 SAFEVANT Wireless Security Camera System
The SAFEVANT comes with 1080p NVR surveillance kit, a 12.1-inch display and four pieces of 1.3MP cameras that shoot videos in 960p throughout the day and night.
The system, however, doesn’t come with an inbuilt HDD and you have to buy one separately.
Some of the features of the product are listed below:
I. Cameras- Four IP66 certified waterproof cameras capable of shooting 960p videos.
The images appear crystal clear during the day and the night as well, thanks to the superior quality of the night vision with nighttime visibility stretching up to 65ft.
II. Monitor- The company provides a 12.1-inch full HD display monitor for a crystal clear viewing experience.
III. Interaction- The security cameras themselves don’t require a direct connection with the NVR for recording purposes.
The cameras are wireless but both the NVR system and the cameras require a direct power supply in order to operate.
You can connect the NVR to the provided monitor or your PC/TV via an HDMI cable and start watching right away.
IV. Remote access- Wireless cameras allow you to control them remotely via a smartphone, tablet or PC.
You can download the app for Android, iOS and your PC. Also, don’t forget to install the CMS software in order to surveil from your PC or laptop.
V. Motion Detection- Motion detectors trigger automatically once you’ve turned them on, which you can do from your smartphone as well.
Any alarms triggered is notified to you immediately via an email.
VI. Service- Lifetime technical support with a 60-day money-back guarantee and free replacements for any damaged parts.
– Great value for the price
– Easy to configure and provides a better picture quality than old cameras.
– There is no HDD provided in the box.
– Controls aren’t the most user-friendly and take a while to get used to.
 SMONET 1080p NVR Surveillance System
The SMONET is an 8 channel full HD surveillance system that contains 4 cameras that can record at 960p, a 1TB HDD, a 10.1-inch display and easy remote access features.
Other Features Include:
I. Cameras- Wireless IP camera system with 8 channel support.
The cameras are not battery powered and need a direct power supply to operate.
They are weatherproof, IP66 certified and boasts 30% clearer video quality compared to others in the market.
The pictures and videos are stunningly clear compared to the standards of a CCTV camera. Camera resolution is 1280×960 and the recording resolution is 1920x1080p.
II. Monitor- The Inbox monitors measures at 10.1-inches and don’t require any complicated setup. Just set it up and you’re good to go.
III. Interaction- The video feed is directly uploaded to the NVR wirelessly.
However, the NVR and the cameras requires their own power source.
The system comes with 4 cameras which can be extended to 8 if required.
IV. Wireless System- The wireless system allows you to watch the feed seamlessly from anywhere in the world.
You can even remotely view the footage on your PC and laptop via a dedicated software and on your smartphones after you’ve installed their app.
V. Motion Detection- Recording can be toggled between various modes.
You can set the camera to record at specific intervals or whenever the motion detectors are triggered.
The intelligent motion detection feature helps you to conserve a lot of storage space.
VI. Services- A lifetime of free technical support with a 1-year warranty and free replacement for any damaged parts.
– Easy to set up
– Superior customer service
– Crystal clear video quality both during the day and night
– The ethernet cable is not detachable and is bulky.
– Hard to adjust the locking screw after you’ve installed the antenna on the camera. Place your camera before locking in the antenna.
 Tonton 8 Channel Security Camera Setup
The Tonton is an all-in-one full HD security camera system, supporting up to 8 channels, WiFi NVR, four 2.0MP cameras that can be extended to an 8 camera setup, a 1TB HDD and a 15.6-inch monitor for the ultimate viewing experience.
Some of the features of the product include:
I. Cameras: The device havsa built-in PIR-sensor effectively eliminating the number of false alarms by 90%.
The cameras can record videos at full HD resolution and have a built-in microphone for superior quality audio recording.
II. Monitor- The surveillance device comes with a 15.6-inch full HD IPS monitor. Most manufacturers go with a 10.1 to 12-inch monitors while Tonton offers a whopping 15.6-inch display.
You won’t have to connect to your PC or TV as the provided display is more than enough to satisfy the viewing needs.
III. Wireless System- The whole system is wireless. You only need to connect the cameras and the NVR to their power supplies.
Download the app, follow the instructions and you’ll be good to go.
If you download the app on your smartphone/iPhone, you can view the video footage from anywhere in the world.
IV. Motion Detection- The motion detection is flawless in this device.
Every trigger sends a small notification with a snapshot right to your registered device.
Download the app and you have a 24/7 surveillance system right at the palm of your hands.
V. Night Vision- The cameras are equipped with 1-3-inch Color CMOS sensor with effective visibility of up to 65ft, and IP66 protection.
VI. Services- The company offers a 1-year warranty with a lifetime of technical support and also offer brand new free replacements for any that turn out to be damaged.
– Video quality is quite good
– The 15.6-inch display really helps with the viewing experience, especially when it comes to the details.
– Signal strength may drop off significantly if there are a lot of walls between the device and the cameras
– The NVR needs to be placed right beside the monitor.
 Tonton 4 Channel, 2 cameras
The Tonton 4 CH is a portable wireless security camera system with a 7 inch IPS touchscreen display and a 2-megapixel camera.
The LCD touchscreen has a resolution of 1080p which looks amazing.
The device can work in a temperature ranging from -30 °C to ＋55℃.
Some of the features of the product include –
1. PIR Sensor, and Motion Detection with 2-Way Audio support – The device supports 2-way audio communication.
Thus, you can not only hear what is happening around the device but can also communicate with whoever is around the area.
The motion detection system will notify you if it senses any motion by sending you mobile alerts.
The PIR sensor helps to reduce false alarms.
2. Easy installation and set up – It is a true plug and play device as there is no need for any cables.
The NVR comes with preinstalled with a 5200mAh rechargeable battery along with a 32GB SD card.
So, you simply have to mount the cameras, plug in the adapter and the NVR will automatically connect with the cameras through the wireless network.
3. Portable touchscreen monitor – The device has a built-in 7-inch IPS touchscreen monitor that allows it to record in several modes and also a wide viewing angle.
It also supports a 5 second pre-record period that ensures you don’t miss any event
4. Pro Customer Support – The device comes with a warranty of 1 year and lifetime free technical support.
During the warranty period, any defective parts of the product will be replaced by a brand-new part absolutely free of cost.
– Responsive customer support.
– PIR sensor works well.
– All the video footage is encrypted to prevent hacking.
– Many users have experienced a high rate of false alarms
– Too many motion detection events may occur if the system is not properly calibrated
The Yeskamo is a wireless home video surveillance system that features a portable touchscreen monitor along with floodlight cameras that offer superior recording at night.
This plug and play device will alert you instantly if it detects any motion in its viewing range.
The cameras are equipped with heavy-duty metal housing and have undergone anti-corrosive treatment in order to increase their durability.
Some of the features of the products are as follows:
1. Plug and play security system – The whole system will pair automatically for your convenience and does not need any internet connection to work.
You just need to plug in the power adapter and set up the cameras for the device to function properly.
2. Comes with Spotlights – The cameras of the device can capture any movement within its 110-degree field of view and comes with added spotlights.
Whenever the motion sensors detect any unusual activity, these flood lights light up the area in order to capture a better video feed and helps to scare off any perpetrator.
3. 2-Way talk and 4 channel system – Thee built-in 7-inch monitor of the device and the 2-way audio helps you to interact with anybody who is close to the camera.
Whether you want to interact with your baby or talk with a delivery man, you can do so with this device.
4. Motion detection with PIR Sensor – The device comes with a motion detection system that works with a PIR sensor to only detect motion that has a heat signature.
This ensures that you only get notified if any animal or human comes into the vicinity of your are and reduces the number of false alarms.
– The picture quality of the camera is good
– The floodlights are a nice addition and work well
– The metal housing, anti-corrosive treatment, and IP66 weatherproof rating ensure it will be durable.
– You may experience some audio lag is the network is congested or the WiFi signal is weak
– The product may get hot sometimes.
 Sequro GuardPro DIY Long Range Wireless Video Surveillance System 7″ Touchscreen Monitor
The Sequro GuardPro is a long-range portable wireless video surveillance system that comes with a built-in touchscreen monitor.
The LCD touchscreen has a color display and a resolution of 720p. It is also user-friendly.
The device supports microSD cards which has a maximum storage of up to 256GB.
Some of the features of the product include –
1. Live viewing and remote access – You can access the device remotely and watch the live feed through the free Sequro App.
The app works on Android as well as iOs smartphones.
2. Plug and play function – The plug and play function of the system takes away all the hassle of setting up the device.
Just place the cameras where you want and plug in the power adapter.
The software will automatically detect the cameras and start the live stream.
Thus, there is no need to connect any cables.
3. Portable system – The whole system is completely portable and comes with a 7-inch HD touchscreen display.
This makes it user-friendly and easy to use.
4. Long transmission range with secure protection – In an open area, the device can transmit signals up to 1,000 feet.
It also features a proprietary video transmitting technology that ensures that all the video footage is safe from unauthorized access.
5. PIR sensor – The PIR sensor of the device comes with adjustable sensitivity options to detect motion.
The adjustable sensitivity allows you to reduce the number of false alarms if you face any.
– The WiFi of the device works well
– Captures good video feed both at day and night.
– It can be hard to find replacement parts for the camera if it stops working.
– Some people have reported choppy playback and blurry pictures from the 2nd camera.
– It does not with true HD resolution(1980x1080p).