A Sync Module 2 is a small black box that is used to manage up to 10 Blink cameras in a Blink system.
Blink Mini’s can work without being connected to a Sync Module 2 but the camera works better if it is connected to one.
A Sync Module 2 helps a Blink camera to work more efficiently, which is important for battery operated Blink cameras.
A Sync Module 2 boosts each camera’s connection to the WiFi network.
In this article I’m going to show you how to connect your Blink Mini to a Sync Module 2.
In practical terms this just means that we need to add a Sync Module 2 into a Blink system that already contains one or more Blink mini cameras.
Resetting your Sync Module 2
Asking you to reset your Sync Module 2 might seem like a strange thing to ask from the outset. In truth, this only applies to people who have bought their SM2 second hand. It isn’t that every second hand module will need to be reset but for a few seconds of effort it is worth playing it safe.
If you have bought yours brand new, then feel free to skip this step.
This is done by sticking a pin-like object into the reset button which is on the side of the SM2. Just above where the USB slot is.
Or watch the video above to show you how
You only need to press the button for a second until the blue light is solid then goes out. The green light (next to the power icon) is steady and blue light (next to the WiFi icon) is flashing blue.
Now you are ready to add the SM2 to your Blink system, so let’s fire up the app and get started.
How to link a Blink Mini to a Sync Module 2
Blink Sync Module 2: How to add one
I have created a video of the process. The video is 1 minute 26 seconds long which shows how quick and easy this task can be.
In the video, my phone is almost touching the sync module and although you don’t need to be that close, get as close as you can!
However, for those of you who prefer written instructions, read on.
- Open your Blink app.
- Press on the blue “+” button in the top right hand corner of the screen.
- From the list select Sync Module.
- The Blink app displays your camera. Capture the QR code. Flip the SM2 over and hold your phone about 6 inches away from it. At first a blue square will appear around the the code and the square will turn green as it captured.
- The SM2 now needs to be added to one or your existing Blink systems or you need to create one.
- Click on the blue continue button at the bottom of the page.
- You are on the discover screen. Just double check that you have a steady green light (next to the power icon) and a flashing blue light (next to the WiFi icon) and then tap on the blue button Discover Device at the bottom of the screen. At white dialogue box appears with the message searching for device. After a few seconds, your SM2 should be found. A new message connect to device appears and it should include the model number of your SM2. Tap on the blue connect button. A new message “connecting to device appears” which disappears after a few seconds. Above the blue discover device button is the message “Connection successful”.
- A list of your available WiFi networks appear on screen. Select the WiFi network that you want to connect to and then add the password. Tap on the icon of the eye on the right to show your password in full. Select the blue join button at the bottom of the screen.
- A message appears on screen “sending WiFi info to Sync Module”then “connecting to Blink servers. This might take a minute.”
- A green tick or check mark appears on screen with the message “sync module WiFi added to (name of your Blink system).
- Tap on the blue “done” button.
You have successfully linked your Blink Mini to a SM2.
The Blink app returns to the homepage.